Sub Header

But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness,

godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. ~ 1 Timothy 6:11

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Real Man Acts Like a Father

In my last post, I recalled the various definitions of what it meant to be a man that I had held as I grew up.  In this post, I want to share my current theory on what a man really is.

Discovery

There I was, sitting in a drive thru lane for Bill Miller's BBQ and, once again, I was wrestling with the definition of what it meant to be a man.  I decided to start at zero and look at what I knew.

  • I knew a real man was strong enough to help others who needed help (Able)
  • I knew a real man put the needs of others before himself (Selfless)
  • I knew a real man stood up for what was right regardless of the situation (Righteous)
While these are all noble and good (and I would struggle to just accomplish these), they still lacked a unifying theme and let too much fall through the cracks.  

And then I had a realization!

All three of these characteristics described described characteristics that an ideal father would possess!  Think about the archetypal father figure.  He is definitely able, selfless, and righteous.  But he was other things as well...strong, wise, caring, a protector, a provider and more!  

And every single quality I listed for a father also described how a man should act!  I was thrilled.  This theory works!  (For now.)

My New Definition

A real man acts like a father.

That does not mean a real man must have children.  Nor does it mean that every male with children is a man.  

What is does mean, is that a real man lives in the world as we would envision a father to live in his home.  
  • He treats the people he meets with love, 
  • the places he encounters with respect, 
  • and the things he does with pride.  
A real man would have to be confident enough and strong enough to not only put others before himself, but also have the bravery to put himself "out there", risking backlash for doing the right thing.

In short, acting as a father to the world requires one to be incredibly manly.

Implications

The beauty of this comparison is that it explains a theory I can barely grasp, much less communicate, with an idea that is well-known and familiar to everyone.  It keeps scenarios from falling through the cracks and it definitely has a unifying theme.

Using this archetypal father as a new role model sounds exhausting.  It requires so much love.

I will write again after I have kicked the tires a bit more.  

In the mean time.  I would love to hear your thoughts!


Keep Pursuing



No comments:

Post a Comment